Friday, February 18, 2011

pieter bruegel - landscape with fall of icarus, 1558

Club Icarus

We're no more than a few silver

seconds in the air when that winged

and cocky boy gets sucked

into a turbine sparking off a fire

that rips the starboard wing

away from the fuselage, shucking

passengers out and raining

us over northern California, dozens

of us dropping towards the bay

and you can imagine the screams,

I'm sure, the prayers cast up

then down the twirling sky,

and yet here's my daughter

laughing the whole way

down, her yellow hair whipping

around her first teeth smile,

as she titters at the tilted

wonder of what was happening,

rolling airborne over and over,

as we all drop like sacks of wet

clay and for a second I want to snag

her, to show her how frightened

she should be, so I can hug

her safe one last time, but the way

she looks laughing I just can't

and so as the brick of the bay

comes up to kiss my back I watch

my little girl giggling, grinning

floppy-cheeked into the wind

and then, damn, if I don't see, right

before the world splits my sides,

wings all her own butterfly

from her back and lift her

laughing back into the blue.

MATT W. MILLER

No comments: